Here is an incomplete list of some of the supported sources tested with WinSetupFromUSB.
Since new sources are added frequently, please check again for updates.
Tests are usually performed on a NTFS formatted USB flash disk, including the Linux based ones. If there are additional steps needed to get a source going or another file system is needed, there will be a note.
Please leave a comment if you have tested another source, with a description and link to it, or if you have a request for a new one.
Windows 2000/XP/2003 Setup option, multiple sources are supported:
- Windows XP, any architecture (32 and 64 bits), any Service Pack (SP), any version (Home, Professional etc.)
- Windows 2000, any SP, any version
- Windows 2003, any architecture, any SP, any version
Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / Server 2008/2012 based ISO option, multiple sources are supported::
- Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, any architecture, any SP, any version
- Windows 10 Technical Preview– if using it with WinSetupFromUSB version 1.4 and earlier, make sure to use the advanced option “Custom menu names for Vista/7/8/Server Source” and set folder and boot menu names.
- Windows 10 – single and dual ISOs created by Microsoft Media Creation Tool or downloaded from Microsoft. Dual ISOs made by the same tool (x32 and x64 in a single ISO) are supported since version 1.9.
- Windows Server 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019 any architecture, any SP, any version
- Windows Thin PC – Windows Thin PC 90 day evaluation
- Symantec Norton Ghost 15.01
- Windows Defender Offline , 32 and 64 bit versions, select to save as an ISO file when creating the startup media
- EaseUS Todo Backup WinPE emergency disk
- ESET SysRescue
- Avast Rescue Disc
Norton Bootable Recovery Tool
UBCD4Win/WinBuilder/Windows FLPC setup/BartPE option:
IA64/Itanuim versions are not tested.
Linux ISO/Other Grub4dos compatible ISO option, multiple sources are supported:
Note- if there are problems starting or installing Debian/Ubuntu from USB hard disk take a look at this tutorial
Use Linux ISO/Other Grub4dos compatible ISO option unless other specified
- Avast Rescue Disk – Use Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / Server 2008/2012 based ISO option
- AVG Rescue CD
- Avira Rescue System
- Bitdefender Rescue CD
- Comodo Rescue Disk
- Dr. Web LiveCD
- eScan Rescue Disk – Use Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / Server 2008/2012 based ISO option
- ESET SysRescue – Use Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / Server 2008/2012 based ISO option
- F-Secure Rescue CD
- Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10
Norton Bootable Recovery Tool– Use Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / Server 2008/2012 based ISO option
- Panda SafeCD
- PC Tools Alternate Operating System Scanner – copy AOSS.iso from /ISO/ directory to the root of the USB disk, delete /system/stage3 in /ISO/AOSS.iso if disk space is concern
- Sophos Bootable Anti-Virus
- Trinity Rescue Kit – please refer to Linux / *BSD / *nix, Others tab
- Vba32 Rescue
- Windows Defender Offline – Use Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / Server 2008/2012 based ISO